The Edinburgh International Film Festival returns for 2018 bringing with it an impressive selection of recent East Asian cinema:
- An Elephant Sitting Still – The first and only feature film from the late Hu Bo, An Elephant Sitting Still is a story of stagnation and the dream of escape.
- Girls Always Happy – A mother and daughter lead frustratingly interdependent lives in Yang Mingming’s drama.
- No. 1 Chung Ying Street – drama contrasting 1967 pro-China demonstrations against the British Government, and the Umbrella democratisation movement in present day Hong Kong.
- Party ‘Round the Globe – Hirobumi Watanabe returns with another deadpan classic in which he stars as a lonely man on a roadtrip with a neighbour.
- Radiance – The latest from Naomi Kawase, Radiance stars Masatoshi Nagase as a photographer slowly losing his sight.
- The Great Buddha+ – an extension to director Huang Hsin-Yao’s 2014 short, The Great Buddha+ follows two security guards as they spy on their womanising boss for kicks but find out something they were not supposed to know.
The Edinburgh International Film Festival runs from 20th June to 1st July. You can find the complete details for all the films, as well as screening times and ticketing information on the official website and you can also keep up with all the latest festival news via the official Twitter account, Facebook page, Instagram, and YouTube channels.